Is Valley Life your church? The Gospel Class serves to lay the foundation upon which our community lives and breathes. Contents of the 5 classes cover what we believe about the Bible, God, Creation and Salvation. This is part of the membership process at VLC.
The next classes will begin September 24th, 2017.
Lesson 3 Outline:
• What do the Scriptures say about Creation?
• What is the Fall?
• Is everyone totally sinful?
• Where does sin come from?
• What are the consequences of sin?
• How should we deal with our sin?
• How can I stop committing a sin?
• The redemptive work of Jesus
• How to personally apply the cross
• How to live in the light of the cross
• Salvation from God's perspective
• The Resurrection
• The Resurrection Factor: Living in the light of Christ's Resurrection
A steward is a person who by God's grace belongs to God. And, because they belong to God they recognize that ultimately everything they are and have belongs to God and has been given to them as a gift. Therefore, they then seek to both enjoy the gifts God has given them as well as invest those gifts in others and the future by distributing them wisely. This includes everything from time, money and skills.
Lesson 4 Outline:
• Stewardship of Your Life
• Who owns everything?
• What is a steward?
• What is tithing?
• Answering common questions about tithing
• What is the priesthood of believers?
• Natural Talents and Spiritual Gifts
• How do you get a spiritual gift?
• What are the purposes of a spiritual gift?
• Where are the spiritual gifts listed in Scripture
• What are the spiritual gifts?
• Stewardship of the Mission
• I. Why Define Disciple?
• II. Discipleship Defined
• III. Disciples Developed
A church is a gathering of regenerated people—a covenant community within a community, for the glory of God. Submitted to the Headship of Christ and the authority of his Word, and gifted and empowered by the Holy Spirit, it engages the culture, telling and retelling the story of Jesus. When gathered, the church is committed to the preaching of the Word, to the continual administration of the sacraments, to discipline in the pursuit of holiness, and to prayer. When scattered, the church is ever mindful that it is a people sent.
Lesson 5 Outline:
• Stewardship of the Church
• I Definition of the Church
• II The Church Governed
• Church Discipline
• Appendix A - What Are Spiritual Gifts?
• Appendix B - VLC Covenant
• Appendix C - Acts 29
• Appendix D - Footnotes
Valley Life values the "Berean attitude" found in Acts 17. We, like the Bereans, must go the Bible to verify that the things taught in the church are true according to God's revealed Word.
Lesson 1 Outline:
• What are the Scriptures?
• What does Scripture say about itself?
• How did Jesus view Scripture?
• How did the Apostles view Scripture?
• Does Scripture have any errors or
• How were the 66 books chosen?
• Can Scripture be written today?
A study of God is most about experiencing God (John 17:3). In this section we will explore the various Biblical descriptions of the "God who is there," as he was aptly described by a well know theologian. To experience God we must learn of his attributes so that we can understand Him in truth. Nevertheless, we must also acknowledge that man cannot know God apart from a personal "born again" experience, which Jesus said was the only way to truly "see" the things of the kingdom of God (John3:3).
Lesson 2 Outline:
• God is incomprehensible, but what does
• How is God known?
• How many gods are there?
• What are God's attributes?
• Is the Father God?
• Is Jesus God?
• Is the Holy Spirit God?
• What is the Trinity?
• What are some names of God?
At Valley Life we affirm that God is the author of Salvation (Hebrews 12: 2). Over and over again in the gospels Jesus stresses the necessity of being saved by a direct act of God (for example John 1:13; 3: 5-8; 6: 37, 39, 44). God chooses and then predestines those whom He calls (Romans 8: 28-30; Ephesians 1: 4-6, 11-12; 2: 4-6; also see Acts 13:48).
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."
Romans 8: 28-30 (ESV)
This perspective does not preclude the necessity of preaching, confession and belief (Romans 10:8-12). The gospel is God's means for salvation (Romans 1:16-17). From God's standpoint He is in control from start to finish (Philippians 1:6). He raises the lost sinner from the state of spiritual death in sin (Ephesians 2: 1, 5) to life in Jesus (Colossians 3: 1-3). God gives the lost sinner the gift of faith so that he can be saved (Ephesians 2: 8-9).